A coalition of peace activists in Rhode Island are working to pass legislation to reduce the danger of nuclear war and identify the state's investments in military contractors.
H.7518 is a resolution that urges the federal government to pursue a broad range of measures to reduce the danger of nuclear war, to sign and ratify the treaty on the prohibition of nuclear weapons (TPNW) to make nuclear disarmament the centerpiece of our national security policy, and to spearhead a global effort to present nuclear war.
H.7482 calls for the Treasurer's office and the state investment commission that manages the state pension fund to identify the pension funds holdings, direct or bundled, of military contractors stock.
Support for last year's organizing efforts:
- Christian Sorensen, Senior Fellow with the Eisenhower Media Network
- Lawrence Wilkerson, Colonel, U.S. Army (Ret).
- Leslie William T. Robinson
- Linda Stevens
- Sister Mary Pendergast RSM
- William J. Astore
- Les Robinson speaks at the UN International Day of Peace event in Rhode Island